Monday, August 10, 2009

What's a blog, anyway?

Friends who know about my blog are emailing to ask, "What's a blog, anyway? And how do I respond?" So, even as I'm in the middle of things I'm trying to figure that out. Stay with me.

Here's the little I know so far:
There are lots of blogs out there on all sorts of topics. I think they are a bit like newspaper columns, except that the readers are encouraged to add their comments immediately rather than in letters to the editor.

For example, if you were to type into your internet browser, "vegan rye bread", you'd likely encounter at least one blog including that recipe, plus readers' own takes on the topic. (And I don't know yet how to get internet search engines to pick up my topics.)

When visitors to my blog want to add their comments (please do), just click on "Follow" to the right of blog text, (You might want to use a fakey name for the sake of confidentiality) and add your own spin to the topic at hand.

The plan (because I write in the middle of things) is to get several parallel threads going -- vegan recipes, gardening/flower arranging, Bible thoughts, history (sequel to my YARNS BEYOND THE BEND), genealogy, nature, lots of photos, and whatever else we care to discuss.

Daughter, Mary, follows a number of blogs and will offer suggestions after she returns from Oshkosh and the international Pathfinder Camporee. Actually it may be awhile before she can help with the blog much -- her family, including humans, 3 horses, 2 dogs & a cat, will move to Washington before she returns home -- so their chaos will continue for a bit. She's been encouraging me to do this blog for some time, however, so I'm sure will help it fly.

Meanwhile, Help! Tell me how to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment