Sunday, August 9, 2009

El Nino Side Effects

How does that old song go? “If I had my ‘druthers, I ’druther have my ‘druthers than anything else at all.” Well if I had my ‘druthers today I ’druther be out in Our Garden with the camera or talking about the nicer weather or laughing at Silky Lab’s silliness or pulling weeds… 'druther most anything uther than what this photo represents -- wet book pages fluttering by a big fan.

My new place has about the same floor space as my previous house in Idaho, but storage shed space for STUFF is considerably limited. So, before and since the move, there’s been some seriously downsizing. Thursday night the goofy weather kicked that into overdrive. Friday morning about 4:30 I rolled out of bed and headed into the living room to see if it were still raining… and stepped in a puddle. It was a big puddle, covering much of that room and soaking a bunch of boxes of STUFF still to be sorted… plus keeper STUFF waiting for space on the shelves. Like this batch of books.
It seems that leaves had plugged the downspout, resulting in a waterfall from the eaves-trough into the window wells, and thence indoors to the STUFF.

The rain has stopped; someone fixed the downspout; the guy with the extractor came, worked on the carpets and installed the fan which is providing action to the books; I’m still washing towels which were used to sop up most of the puddle, and still sorting soggy STUFF.

Outdoors, “it’s a lovely day today, and whatever you’ve got to do, you’ve got a lovely day to do it in that’s true. But if you’ve got something that must be done, and it can only be done by one, there is nothing more to say, except it’s a lovely day for saying ‘It’s a lovely day!’”

So, in the middle of things…

No comments:

Post a Comment